Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Roadway Attempt in GC

   I continued my exploration in Generative Components this past weekend.  I have found that while I like the overall layout and functionality of the program better than others that I have tried, it is taking me longer to learn the particulars about GC (such as syntax, where features are, how to accomplish certain things, etc).  With this additional time spent in the learning curve, I was only able to get as far in GC as I had done last week in Grasshopper.  I once again created a roadway, made as a solid, and based on certain input variables that control the dynamics of the object (such as number of lanes in each direction, lane width, roadway thickness, etc).  I did further research into the Boolean functionality (such as "if" statements) and found that they are much easier to implement than in Grasshopper.  However, I found that it was more difficult for me to control the physical appearance of the object (such as color and dashed lines) than it was in Grasshopper, and I haven't quite been able to implement the visual aspects as much as I would have liked.  I plan on sticking with GC from here on out based on our discussion of what was upcoming for the rest of the semester.  I feel like once I get the hang of GC I will be able to create some pretty interesting models.







No comments:

Post a Comment