Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Final Project Progress - Roadway Design

    I continued working with Generative Components this week, trying to enhance my adaptive roadway.  It took a while but I think I finally got the hang of GC, at least the simple features and the syntax for the more difficult functions.  I was able to successfully incorporate conditional statements (if else statements) and for loops within my transactions in GC allowing me much more complexity with my model.  Learning the syntax and the process for creating these functions however, took a lot more time than I had hoped.
    But it was worth it.  These functions allowed me to alter the roadway pitch to create a crown in the roadway or super-elevation around a curve.  GC decides when to do this by itself based on the curvature of the centerline of the roadway.  Furthermore, it allowed me to program into GC when to create columns under the roadway if the roadway rose up farther than 2 feet from the ground line (2 feet was a random number I had chosen but it can be changed).  After seeing the effect of the columns I realise that I have to add some transverse beams at the columns but that is for another day.
    The hardest part at this point is coming up with the correct ratios in order to obtain the correct pitch of the roadway and the number of generated cross-sectional lines used to loft the roadway surface.  Also, the tolerance variable of when to super-elevate the road is a little tough to estimate (ratio) correctly.  I attempted to ensure that my model was a 3D object so it can be 3D printed but I am not sure how the STL file came out.  The first attempt at 3D printing will tell a lot.
   Check out some of these attached images from my model.  Just to note, the roadway width and number of lanes are still controlled through variables, even though I left them constant for comparison purposes in these pictures.














No comments:

Post a Comment