Monday, April 1, 2013

Project 2 Revisited - Matrix Revisions Based On Comments

    I revised Matrix 1 of the blog that I had posted this past week taking into account one of the comments from my classmates.  The premise was to try to make a surface made up of all of the individual surfaces from Matrix 1 of my first blog for Project 2.  I went about this by first rotating all of the individual surfaces vertically so that their [relatively] flat sides were in the same plan.  Then I moved all of the columns of the matrix until the vertical edges of the surfaces touched the adjacent surfaces.  Finally I moved each row of surfaces upward until a uniform portion of the lower surface was "on top of" the surface above it.  This produced an interesting result however, due to the fact that the top of each surface was in a different horizontal plane than the bottom of the surface above it.  It produced an overlapping result, seeming like the upper surface had tucked itself behind the lower surface (or vise-versa depending on the perspective).  It reminds me of window blinds, roof shingles, or even scales of a reptile.







I then continued one step further and copied this matrix multiple times to create a "wall" of these matrices.  Take a look at the result:






4 comments:

  1. I really like the re-attempt, I wonder if there is a way to blur the difference in the panels, so it looks like a continuous surface.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this Greg! This works! The second and Third images really show how the comprehensive transformation and bringing them together actually shows the formation of a space defining surface. And the detail shots you took are pretty cool seeing the transformation of the line work as the parameters change over each iteration. I think I'm going to do this for my project and take it to the next step...Nice man

    ReplyDelete
  3. Definitely agree, I like this revisit. I particularly like how subtle the changes between panels are. That one thing I was struggling with my form. How much does it really need to transform to make a difference.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not sure how much of the original geometry you kept, but I feel like I can still see the bear's nose.. It is a great surface. I might like it if the transitions between the panels were less apparent, maybe for the next step.

    ReplyDelete